Monday, April 25, 2011

Occupied


Hi Knitters,
I am tucked back in my house after a week in Captiva Island, Florida. I am trying to get back into the rhythm of an ordinary day around here but it is never as easy as you think. I am playing catch up. It was a wonderful relaxing week and I am so grateful to have that uninterrupted time with my family.

I did get some knitting done while we were gone. TC did some knitting, too. Above is TC's Be Sweet Bambino Taffy hat. She is crazy about it and will donate it to her charity knitting group. She immediately started her next Be Sweet hat. It is fun to see her planning her travel knitting and throwing her knitting in the beach bag or in the car as we go.
One thing I love about my crew is their ability to lose themselves in books. As we sat on the beach together I looked at my three kids (my oldest couldn't come with us due to his college schedule - that was hard) each quietly absorbed in a book. For whatever reason it gave me a sense of accomplishment. To see your kids quietly content and engrossed in a book is strangely reassuring. Being able to dig in and read a good book is a lifelong pleasure that I am glad they all appreciate. My oldest is and always has been a huge fiction reader as well. He is never without a novel and always has a stack at the ready waiting to be read. I even had a chance to read a couple of books that had been sitting on my Kindle way too long. I loved every minute of it. I am hosting a giveaway for one of the books I finished later this week.
I also finished a pair of socks out of my handspun yarn. This is a first for me and it was quite exciting. I finally was able to spin enough yarn out of 4 ounces of fiber and at a fingering weight. These were a good time to knit.
I love my new socks for all of their rustic glory. They feel incredibly good on my feet.

When I left Madison last week it was freezing cold. I wore a pair of handknit socks in the car on the early morning two hour drive to the airport. I left the socks in the car and when we got back to the car a week later I could not have been happier to put those socks back on in the cold Chicago air. I had forgotten about them so it was a treat.
I also finished up a pair of Best Foot Forward socks in the Blueberry Cobbler colorway. I love this yarn which was designed by Kristin Nicholas. This will be a sturdy pair that will last for a good long time.
Lastly, I got a good start on a Blue Sky Alpacas pattern for a beautiful little cardigan by Cecily Glowik MacDonald aptly called, Cecily's Silk Cardigan. I am using this Blue Sky Alpacas yarn in the Amethyst colorway. I am using US size 4 needles and I took out the lace panel. It is dreamy all around.

I'll keep you posted on my progress but it may be slow. I am back to the real world with a whole bunch of projects with deadlines on my horizon.

It's good to be back. What sort of things are keeping you occupied? I'd love to hear.
best, susie

15 comments:

Stefanie said...

Captiva Island sounds so fascinating and like paradise. Sigh, unfortunately, we won't be going to paradise this summer.
I love that picture of your son reading. It makes you feel like you've accomplished one very important parent goal, yeah?
Related: My eldest is a fan of the Ivy and Bean series. We ordered most of it off of Amazon, using her $25 b-day gc. Once she got them in her hands, she was reading the entire weekend. It was so funny to watch her head move while reading line by line. My little one had a book open and my husband and I just laughed as she can't read yet but her ul-ni is such a positive role model for her.
TC's hat is so cheery and wonderful! And your socks! I would steal both pairs!
I have paper costumes taking up my time right now. I'm almost done as I have 34 cut out and glued together and Sharpie detailed. I have persimmons and cabbages to make by Thursday!
Knitting's been taking a backseat but I frogged the whole hat and restarted to just do two-rowed stripes. The carried up yarn is being good and staying hidden inside.

Unknown said...

I am currently knitting the dead or alive fish hat for charity knitting. I made a list of things to knit from my ravelry queue and put the yarn and needles in bags so they are ready to grab as i run out the door! so excited to use up some stash!

Speattle said...

"What sort of things are keeping you occupied?"

I've been doing more sewing in addition to my knitting this year. Have pieced 4 quilt tops and completed 3 quilts, sewn several handbags and some cute baby things for my Granddaughter.

Also, keeping up the knitting too of course! Today I gave knitting lessons to 2 BFFs at my house. So much fun!

Sara said...

I've missed reading about your knitting! Welcome home. It is so wonderful that you all had such a grand time together.
I'm doing some spinning, knitting a Vivian Hoxbro Shadow Knitting Jacket and helping a friend finish up a top-down sweater for her gd. 'Hope to see you soon...at the Ear?
Sara

Unknown said...

LOVE the hat! Didshe follow a pattern or create her own thing?
I'm almost finished with my second blanket in two days. Rather than buy full size comforters for my twins, I purchased fleece, flannel and cotton in mix of Batman, spiderman and superman themes. I'm almost done with the second. Knitwise, I have a green super hero hat on my needles. It will have eye holes and pointy ears when finished.
After that, I have some lovely mohair blend yarn that I want to attempt a shawl. It will be my first, so need to decide on a pattern that is simple enough that it does not scare me

Unknown said...

I would be so proud if my kid - Alan - loves reading books. I'm a big fiction fan and I love a good book. What are some of your and your kids favorite books?

Debby said...

One of the greatest blessings I have is that we were successful in installing a love of reading in our children, now adults. They in turn are passing it on to their children. I, like you, love to see them reading.
I remember conversations in the car on trips about books that we had all read. Or going to go see movies that were made from books we had read and discussing them after. The Lord of the Rings was one example.
And I'm working on some sewing (always) but also the cupcake projects for the next itty bitty swap.

Laura said...

So great to hear about your kids losing themselves in books. I hope my kids will do the same as they grow up, and will think of reading as a way to relax and something that is fun.

Oh, nice socks, too!

Elizabeth said...

welcome home! i love the handspun socks!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Lucky you Susan! Love all the projects you finished - what a great feeling, right? Welcome back to the real world. XO

Patricia said...

You seem to always pick such cool vacation spots! I'm so amazed at what you can get done in one week! Wow!

Barb said...

Isn't reading such a wonderful gift? I think we all take it for granted, but life would be so much harder if we couldn't read.

Happy to read you had a wonderful vacation with most of your family and we are are always happy to see what new stuff you (& TC!) are up to. She is quite the girl!!

Renee W said...

I love the socks you knit. I have not made any socks yet but have recently purchased some yarn for socks. Can you share the sock pattern you use?
Looks like you had fabulous beach weather. Wish I were there today, it is a rainy cold day here in Minnesota. A good day for knitting.

Dcoleman said...

I would love to know where you stayed on Captiva Island...trying desparateky to get my husband to take me east from the cold rains of Washington state, where we have only had one day since October over 60 degrees.

dana said...

Hi Susan,
I recently shared your bunny pattern with my readers on MADE. It's a departure from my normal content. But I loved it! Thanks for the wonderful pattern!
http://www.dana-made-it.com/2011/04/bunnies-for-my-bunnies.html
- Dana
MADE