Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No Afterthoughts


Hi Knitters,
Well, I want to keep you posted on my heel study. Rather, on my failed heel study. I decided not to go any farther on the foot of my sock before I put the afterthought heel in just in case I didn't end up liking this style of heel. Boy, am I ever glad I did that because, honestly, I don't like this heel at all. It is too shallow and sort of unattractive and I can't imagine that it would fit well. I considered keeping it for about a minute or two and then I happily decided I would rip that afterthought heel right out. In its place I will put my good old-fashioned heel in and I will carry on with the rest of the sock as planned.

Thank goodness for stopping and trying new things out in the middle. Now I don't have to go back very far at all. I don't feel any disappointment in the afterthought heel only relief that I still love the heel flap - gusset style socks the best and that's always been what I use for my socks. I will continue on in this vein. Although it may not be exciting, the heel flap-gusset socks simply look good and fit great. What more do you need?

More to come very soon....
best, susie

12 comments:

Stefanie said...

It's so wonderful to read, Susan, how you're adventurous to try new techniques in knitting. What an inspiration and good to know your thoughts on that style vs. the traditional. You have such a good eye on how to put together colors.

Nicole said...

Susan, I am so happy to see you like the old way too! I have tried that way for the heel and circular needles for socks....but alas, my true knitting love is for the feel of dpns and heel-flap gussets!

Jasmin said...

Hi Susan!

Is that a 50% or a 60% heel? You might like the fit on the 60% more.

Ally Jay said...

It is good to try new things, doesn't mean we have to like them. I read somewhere that it takes 21 tastes of a food you dislike become one you like. Maybe you'd have to do the same with the heel. Not a great thought.

Unknown said...

It's good to try new things, and it's good to stay with what's best for you.

Kim said...

I TOTALLY agree. I experimented with a few different types of heels recently... an afterthought heel and a short row heel. I went back to the good old fashioned heel (heel flap-gusset)... it's much tidier and easier! I enjoyed the experimenting but it's a lot of work when you rip it out!

LizzieK8 said...

Did you try it on? I find the afterthought heel just hugs my heel and makes the sock fit oh, so much better. Wonderful how each of us finds our own "sock of awesomeness"!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Hi Susan: That heel flap gives a lot of design possiblilities. I have used it for a "slipper" and it is okay. But I'm with you on the fit - like the heel flap. The one thing I think that might make it fit okay is getting the sock wet, letting it dry some and then wearing it. I'm sure the wool would mold to your foot. (Man, just read that phrase WOOL WOULD MOLD - what a mouthful!)
Can't wait to see the new book. Maybe I can do a Giveaway for you & Trent.
Are you going to NYC to VK Live? I'm teaching.
Happy 2011!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

I love the heel flap. I have never tried 60% hmmmmmmmmmm here we go again Andrea in TN

Kim said...

So happy to hear this Susan! I am a fan of the tried and true as well. I love this sock and you have inspired me to go into my closet of yarn and find some to stripe with...sometime in the hopefully near future.

Anonymous said...

I use the afterthought heel allot with self-striping yarns because they make that nifty bull's eye type design. I have impossibly wide feet and high arches, so I knit my heels over a generous 60% of the stitches, rather than the standard 50%, as Jasmin recommended. Don't limit yourself to just one style of heel or toe---develop a bunch of different techniques and use the one that best suits the yarn you are using. That is the fun part of knitting and wearing your own socks.

Brenda in Iowa.

KarenJ said...

Here's one you might like. In Charlotte Schurch's book, Sensational Knitted Socks, she has one heel she calls the "forethought". Like the afterthought heel it does not use a flap. Unlike the afterthought heel it's knit as you go. It's easy and fits nicely. I do like to do it reinforced though since it doesn't pad the heel like a flap does.