Monday, December 13, 2010

Dough!


Hi Knitters,
My Peachy is a true lover of the winter holiday season. She always has been the one to do the advent calendar and to conduct a running countdown to Christmas in various places in the house. Peachy isn't always a crafty one but when she saw a show where bread dough ornaments were made she latched onto the idea of making her own personalized ornaments.

The best part of this project, besides the fact that they are super-cute, is that Peachy did the entire project from start to finish on her own. Other than buying her some acrylic paints, cookie cutters, ribbon and glossy Mod Podge for finishing, I didn't do one single thing on this project. She even cleaned up the mess. She was on an ornament making mission and is very proud of her finished product.
Peachy made a list of recipients including friends, teachers and family. She kept a checklist of names as she worked. The photos I have are not all of the ornaments as she has already given some away. I think she made around 50 ornaments and it took her many, many hours. She would turn on some Christmas music to help set the scene while she worked. I love to see her so involved in gift making by hand. She was really swept away.

She wrote every person's name with a black Sharpie on each ornament which is a sweet touch. After the ornaments had completely dried Peachy brushed on a coat of glossy Mod Podge which gave them the perfect finish. She left the back of the ornaments plain but also gave the backs a coat of Mod Podge. This gives the ornaments a shiny protective coat.

Even the youngest of children could do much of this fun project on their own. Older kids can just take it and run on their own. It is so easy.

I posted a new free pattern on Spud says! this morning. If you are in need of a super quick and cute pattern for the holidays this is the ticket.



Have a great week, Knitters. We are covered in a big blanket of beautiful white snow and the sun is shining so bright. I especially love the snow-coated trees. It is a magical time.
best, susie

13 comments:

Stefanie said...

Peachy did an excellent job, Susan! How professional looking! Lucky recipients they are.

babyboxermom said...

STOP IT!!! I want to make ornaments now :-) Peachy did a grand job!

LittleMissEclectic said...

Good job Peachy!
It's so great to watch someone accomplish something completely on their own, especially when that someone is your child.

Catalina said...

What a sweet wonderful thing to do for others! and thank you, that might be the perfect afternoon project for our snow day!
And the scarf is wonderful, it looks so warm and fluffy :)

Tiphanie said...

Those ornaments are awesome! Peachy did a wonderful job on them. I love the personalized touch. Those really gave me a great idea for a project to work on with the kids for some Christmas gifts, as we're on a tighter budget this year. Thank you, Peachy! And Susan, thanks for the lovely pattern on the scarf. I really want to knit one of those in time for Christmas, too!

Sara in WI said...

That is so wonderful! I'm sure that Peachy's ornaments will be well appreciated by all of her friends and family. Thank you for sharing this story with us!

Barb said...

Obviously, you have very crafty, very talented, very generous, very charming children (and I think we all know where they got it from???) I am in complete awe of these ornaments - Great Job, Peachy!! and I love the scrunchy scarf - thank you so much!!

tea_mama said...

The ornaments look great and I love the scarf's shade of pink :).

Unknown said...

The ornaments are so cute, and they do look very professionally done. I love snow. Perhaps one day I can move to live in Madison?

rosalia said...

I love these ideas!!!

Sandee said...

I love that they are displayed on the place-mats.

Jen said...

Cute ornaments--and thanks for the dough recipe! I've been meaning to look for one after helping my son's class make salt dough ornaments; this'll be perfect to do with my kids and their cousin at my parents' house this Christmas. Peachy did a great job!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the link! I need a hostess gift for Christmas day--now we've already got our ornaments in the oven, ready to paint this afternoon. Perfect! Merry Christmas to you--your blog has been such a source of joy and inspiration this year!

Sarah