Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Loop-d-Loop On My Girl-e-Girl!


Hi Knitters!

Loop-d-Loop by Teva Durham is one of my favorite books. It is so innovative and inspiring. I read it like a novel from cover to cover, and I revisit it often. I have knitted many of the projects from this book, and I have many lined up waiting to be knit. Here is one of them completed. This is my youngest daughter wearing the "child's geek spiral pullover."

I had to do a lot of remedying on the sizing because it was running very small and the neck opening was so tiny. Cotton chenille has no give whatsoever, so keep this in mind when using this yarn. I also added a picot edging on the hood with a crochet hook and the dark pink chenille. I made the largest size that is a 4-6 years. I made this 2 summers ago, so my daughter would have been 5 years old. It was not even close to fitting her, thus the extensions on the bottom and side edges, and she is average size. I still love the sweater and even with the funny add-ons, it looks great on her.

I used the Crystal Palace cotton chenille and a US size 6 needle. It was so much fun to knit the patterned front. You should try this pattern and you will quickly see how simple and fun it is. You start in the middle and work your way out and around picking up stitches and making triangles. The swirling front would make a fantastic pillow or baby blanket as well.

Anyway, this has turned out to be one of her favorite sweaters and she wears it often, like several times a week, even to soccer games in the rain and mud and for messy pumpkin carving. I love seeing her in it. I have washed the sweater repeatedly in the machine, and I lay it flat to dry. It holds up well.

Teva is a genius in Loop-d-Loop. I hope she has a second book very soon, I will buy it sight unseen! My rating here is a double thumbs-up!

best, susie

1 comment:

Faith said...

Susan, that sweater is fantastic! I love the swirl. It's so bright and girly, yet so different from the usual hearts and flowers. Very nice. =)

Thank you so much for your encouraging comment on the show. It's listeners like you who keep me going. =) If you try any of my recipies, I'd love to know how they work out!